28 February 2010

Geuze the First: Moriau Oude Geuze




I stopped in to the world-renowned beer store «Beer Planet» (www.beerplanet.eu) to try my luck at the selection. Geuzehound I am, I immediately went to the soursection. I saw some familiar faces (Cantillon, Hanssen's, St. Louis) but one caught my eye: Moriau Oude Geuze, made by Boon. I'd never seen the bottle, so had to have it for 4€ (375ml bottle). Oh, and its drink-by date is 03/03/2029, which is awesome.

Yes! A good bienvenue to Brussels. I loved it. Sour funk in the nose, some lemon, citrus, farmyard barn. The taste was well balanced, a little savory, a little oaky/woody, definitely had the horsey funkiness of the bacteria brettanomyces (more about our friend B. bruxellensis in a future post) but it was not overwhelming. Citrus-sour, refreshing, crisp, clean, fantastic.

(I know many of these descriptive words aren't so helpful to someone who a) hasn't smelled geuze before or b) been on a farm, and they may come off as obnoxious, but hopefully soon you can try a geuze and see what I'm talking about. Or you'll spit it out, and yell at me for making you taste it.)

A good thing about geuzes is that they're relatively low in alcohol, between 5% - 6,5%. This particular one weighed in on the upper end, but I could still finish the 375ml (my first week in Brussels was lonely, don't laugh) and not burn my dinner.

Welcome to Brussels. Welkom in Brussel. Bienvenue à Bruxelles.

Merci.

«Tintin»

No comments:

Post a Comment